RUGER MARK III
Disassembly & Reassembly
Disassembly of Ruger Mark III
- Uncock - insert magazine, safety to fire position, and pull Triger. Remove Mag
- Remove Main Spring Housing / bolt action pin – loop paper clip over tip of housing latch
- Remove Bolt – Insert Mag, point gun upward (be ready to catch Bolt) and pull trigger, if Bolt will not come out, through housing push hammer up, then Bolt and remove Mag
- It is generally not necessary to remove barrel to properly clean gun. Barrel remove complicates reassembly. To remove first take picture of exact relationship to rear of grip frame. Tap front of grip frame with soft mallet.
- Replace barrel (if removed) - Place safety in fire position and place hammer in horizontal position.
- If Hammer will not move up to horizontal, hammer strut is trapped behind cross pin. Lift hammer up, point gun upward to move hammer to horizontal.
- If hammer is too far forward and will not move back to horizontal, insert Mag, pull trigger to move hammer to horizontal.
- Make sure Loaded chamber pin is in its proper place.
- Place barrel on frame so barrel square recess is over square lug
- Push barrel rearward until it stops. Refer to your photo. Tap grip frame with soft mallet if necessary.
- Insert mag, point UP and pull trigger making hammer fall into horizontal position, remove mag.
- If hammer is not horizontal reach into back of barrel and push to flat horizontal position.
- Remove empty Mag. Assure slide release lever is in the full down position.
- Be certain firing pin stop is in bolt before sliding into barrel receiver.
- Insert bolt to full forward position, insert Mag, point gun down, pull trigger.
- With Gun pointed down, front of barrel resting on table, insert main spring housing.
- Squeeze or tap housing until pin is slightly protruding at top of barrel. (Some models require the magazine in and trigger depressed. Upon completion, remove magazine if inserted)
- Point gun upward past vertical to close the latch. It should close freely just before it shuts, you feel spring pressure. If no pressure, open housing push hammer forward, assuring hammer strut is not trapped behind cross pin, point up past vertical and close housing again, feeling for spring pressure.
- If housing will not fall nearly shut, insert mag, pull trigger. Keep pointed past vertical & Housing should now close easily. You should feel spring pressure, then housing latch can now be snapped closed.
- If bolt will not pull back remove main spring house and repeat its installation.
- After pulling bolt back, insert mag, and pull trigger.